Because it seems fun. So let’s do all four of the 20 question sets I found… This will be freaking long…
- What is the deal with my cleric’s religion?
All gods are real, and either some kind of primordial beings, a accumulation of human souls, or the machinations of angels and/or demons. Pick one of the bunch.
- Where can we go to buy standard equipment?
The market square in any large town.
- Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?
Try giving a competent blacksmith in one of the major cities an obscene amount of money.
- Who is the mightiest wizard in the land?
Presumably the Grand Sorcerer of Ios, though probably not in actuality.
- Who is the greatest warrior in the land?
If you ask the nine-time champion of the Blood Pits in Ios, him. Probably someone from the Black Company though.
- Who is the richest person in the land?
The anonymous owner of the Iron Bank.
- Where can we go to get some magical healing?
Talk with a Zealot, Pyromancer, or an Alchemist.
- Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy, polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath?
Poison, disease: apothecary; curse: sorcerer or cleric; level drain: N/A; lycanthropy: try a deity; polymorph: a sorcerer; alignment change: N/A; death: a Death Priest if you’re fast, otherwise a deity; undeath: Death Priest again.
- Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?
Yes, you can join a college of wizards or an order.
- Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?
In any major city.
- Where can I hire mercenaries?
In any major city.
- Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?
In the City of Gold they reaaally hate wizards.
- Which way to the nearest tavern?
Go past the red obelisk.
- What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?
There’s the 66-man serpent, the Hidden-in-the-Depths, the ashen phoenix, and the ghost army.
- Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?
Just go to the borderlands and fight barbarians.
- How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?
They love gladiatorial combat in Ios. Go there and fight the 100-man challenge, or something.
- Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?
Just turn any rock over and you’ll find one.
- What is there to eat around here?
Rice. With arsenic in. Maybe slug deer? If you’re looking for imports there are spike fruits, flesh maggots, and actual real food too.
- Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?
Try any of the three Divine Swords. Or the royal regalia.
- Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure?
There’s reputedly a giant mutant dragon sleeping in the White Lake.
- Ability scores generation method?
2d6+3 in order.
- How are death and dying handled?
Death saves at negative HP.
- What about raising the dead?
Don’t count on it, unless magical CPR counts.
- How are replacement PCs handled?
Roll them up, and they’ll inherit a portion of the old character’s Exp. They’ll arrive as soon ass possible. Promoting an old follower is preferred though.
- Initiative: individual, group, or something else?
1d6 per group. Strike order of weapons might affect hit order.
- Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?
If you do something risky and fail by 5+ you fumble, kind of.
- Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?
More damage reduction.
- Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?
- Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
There’s definitely things you can’t or shouldn’t fight.
- Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
Not as such, no.
- Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
Do death saves count?
- How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
Not per kilo, but per item slot, so decently strict.
- What’s required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
You have enough Exp. and it happens then and there.
- What do I get experience for?
Exploration, loot, survival, and a few special triggers.
- How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
- Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
Secondary characters are expected, if limited. Hirelings work for money, have morale scores, and might abandon you.
- How do I identify magic items?
It’s often obvious that it’s magical, but not how. You’ll have to examine it..
- Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
That would be like selling machine guns at the supermarket! Potions are available though.
- Can I create magic items? When and how?
Yes, if you have rare materials, a caster, and time.
- What about splitting the party?
Well, you can do it though it’s not always to reccomend.
It’s beside the biggest body of fresh water in the known world.
Buried under at least 6 feet of dirt, with enough grave goods for the afterlife. The arms are crossed over the chest, and a large rock is put on top. Criminals are buried face down, without goods, and without a tombstone.
The temperature shift is surprisingly dramatic, but it affects little otherwise. The lack of sun inte the winter makes people hole up for longer each day, as the mists arrive earlier and dissapate later.
In the White City they celebrate the beginning of summer (the sunny season), and the holy days of their religion (one for each of the two deities).
“Don’t go out at night” is barely a superstition, as there’s thick corrosive mist out.
“Always bury the dead” is generally followed, because no one wants another zombie outbreak.
“Never swear by a dead person” is followed by some.
They say there’s a dead titan at the bottom of the lake, and a dragon gnawing on it. The dragon is supposedly growing bigger and more twisted by the year. No one has seen it (at least not seen it and lived).
The Sun tavern. It’s said they make their alcohol on imported water, so it doesn’t have that sharp bitter sting of poison.
There’s animals in the market square. No one can vouch for their health though, with all the poison around.
There’s not very much clean water or food. Dyes and spices are also appriciated.
Nobody has time for mascots around here 😦
There are always out of luck people that are willing to join in you people’s suicidal expeditions round here. Try the Garden of Spears.
There’s a bunch of crazed sorcerers doing what they can in the city.
There’s a local variant of assymetric chess-isch. Contests of endurance of different varieties are the most common though. The current champion held her breath for 19 minutes under the surface of the lake.
The corruption of the lake reduced the country’s population by around half, and the city’s by 75%. There have been massive mist incursions since, though nothing on that scale.
Many maps are out of date, as the geographic features have change drastically the last 200 years. There are a small cartographer’s guild, but their maps are expensive.
Yes, and it’s likely to devour your arm.
2. Is there undead robots?
Only if you count possessed armors.
3. Do Icebergs walk across the land ?
There’s only icebergs Across the Sea.
4. What do birds know?
They watch everything… so lots.
5. Does medicine work like it does here but no-one knows CPR or does it work like a cartoon so I cure amnesia with more head injurys or does it work like medieval euro people thought it did with demons in your teeth?
Well, someone might have figured out that if you punch someone’s lungs they might start working again. But also, there’s demons in your teeth… and perhaps other places. Pretty much half medieval half modern I guess.
6. I want to play a hobbit but really I’m the fleas controlling the hobbit. Where is that in the book?
There are absolutely no hobbits. There’s (probably) no mind controlling fleas… maybe?
7. How much could I rent my body out to spirits before I lost control of my character?
Quite a bit, if they are nice. There are spirits everywhere, and sometimes they are useful.
8.What level do I have to get my character to before I am the g.m?
I’m pretty sure that’s not how GM-ing works…
9. What is the dumbest thing I can spend my money on?
Buy a fighting turtle? An alchemical fighting turtle? An alchemical siamese fighting turtle with spikes on?
You can be Ugly, with a capital “u”. Thus far, no fish people.
Lamp oil burns on wicks, and is commonly available. Though there is far more flammable stuff for sale, if you want to risk a fiery death.
12. How does physics work in this world?
Are there planets? Physics work pretty much as expected, at least on the surface. In dungeons there are no rules. Lots of stuff works like medieval people thought.
13. Can I start with weapon hands? What about crab claws?
14. What cultures approve of cannibalism?
Ios, though its mostly ceremonial.
15. Can my character not be real , but a hallucination of another character?
If the other character is a sorcerer, then maybe. Their hallucinations are real, kind of.
16. Which is the rome but with lava fire country in this world?
There are reputedly fire countries Across the Sea. There are a bunch of “Romes” here though (at least former imperial capitals).
17. Can I invent an insect?
Spells might be creatures, but not insects. Are there even insects? Are insects tiny demons…?!
18. Is there reverse fire?
There are surprisingly few sieges going on right now…
20.What is the most significant tree to the economy of the starting place?
There’s a bleached and petrified archtree in the lake. There may or may not be people on/in the tree.